Christmas and Winter Advice

Winter Hazards

Christmas is a time to eat, drink and be merry! This means we like to indulge in all our favourite foods but it shouldn’t mean that our pets indulge too!! Here’s a few things to avoid this winter:

Christmas cake/pudding is full of raisins. Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure. The exact mechanism is unknown but as little as four grapes can cause problems to a Labrador-size dog. If your dog eats raisins, grapes or sultanas, call us immediately so we can induce vomiting and minimize exposure.

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs especially the dark chocolate with high levels of cocoa in. The toxic levels are 9g/kg of milk chocolate or 1g/kg of dark chocolate. This also includes chocolate cake made with high percentages of cocoa. Chocolate causs vomiting, dribbling, fast heart rate, inco-ordination, fast breathing, fitting and kidney failure. If your dog has eaten any chocolate, please call us immediately and bring all packaging with you.

Nuts are very dangerous to dogs. Entire nuts in their shell are indigestable and cause blockage of the intestines. Macadamia nuts are poisonous and cause weakness, ataxia and lethargy. Contact us immediately if your dog eats a whole nut or macadamia nuts.

Anti-freeze (ethylene glycol) is extremely poisonous to cats and sadly, they quite like the taste, so tend to lick any spilled on the floor. Tiny amounts, once ingested, will cause rapid onset of twitching and kidney failure. Unfortunately, there is no antidote so treatment is supportive and often fails.

Twitter

Facebook

Find Us

49 Christchurch Street
Ipswich Suffolk
IP4 2DF
Phone:  01473 255789

Opening Hours

Weekdays: 8.00am - 6.30pm
Saturday: 8.00am - 12 noon
Consultations by appointment